Surfing for schools, international students & groups
Aotearoa Surf have been providing surfing and paddleboarding for primary, intermediate, secondary schools, international schools, youth and community groups since 2002.
We’re based at Te Arai and operate at east coast beaches north of Auckland, including Orewa, Omaha, Pakiri, Mangawhai, Ruakaka and more. This flexibility lets us meet your needs as well as capture the best conditions on the day.
Tailored programmes for schools
- From NCEA credits and Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC) to school and youth camps
- Aotearoa Surf school programmes give everyone core surfing skills, beach safety and awareness and big smiles on every face!
- We tailor programmes for primary, intermediate and high schools to meet the school’s objectives and the students’ needs.
- Full Scheduel, RAMS, qualifications all packaged for your approval
Days at the beach can cater for over 120 students per day and include:
- Surfing / paddleboarding lessons with multiple instructors
- Beach safety and surf lifesaving
- Multiple rotations of surf lifesaving, beach games and other coastal activities
- Everybody standing riding waves and having fun… our guarantee!
School camps are our specialty, definetly the highlight of any camp!
- Everything is provided; surfboards, wetsuits, sunscreen and the best qualified and experienced surf instructors in the country.
- We operate a strict ratio of coaches to students to ensure safety and plenty of instruction time for everyone and we guarantee everyone will go home smiling!
Aotearea Surf are accredited to teach and mark NCEA Surfing & Paddleboarding in an applied setting. We completed this for an array of schools every year with amazing results.
The NCEA programme is a minimum 2 day programme consisting of
- beach safety
- ocean awareness
- board and equipment design
- reading the ocean
- paddling techniques
- riding unbroken waves
- trimming and basic turning techniques
We aim to have 100% of students reach the standard of ‘Achieved’ with several students completing with Merit or Excellence.
International Schools, youth groups, corporate teams and more
- Aotearoa Surf provides a one of a kind coastal experience through our surfing and paddleboarding programmes. Experience NZ through a beach day like no other.
- Half day, full day or multiple days at the beach or harbour encompassing surfing and or paddleboarding lessons, coastal walks, beach games, swimming and a traditional BBQ lunch.
- Available at Te Arai Regional Park or Mangawhai or any Auckland or Northland beach with everything included!
Fully certified day ticking all the boxes.
- Surfing NZ and Water Safety accredited
- OSH, Worksafe, RAMS, EOTC compliant
- All instructors fully certified ISA Instructors, First Aid and Surf Lifesaving trained
What people say
Thank you for providing a wonderful experience for our students last month. Your instructors were engaging and positive and were able to relate well to our children. Having all the gear provided, including boards and wetsuits, meant that this trip was easier to manage and organize from our end.
We appreciated your sound organization and safety systems that you have in place – without your excellent support our students would not have been able to have a day in the surf. For many it was their first time and it was lovely to see even our more nervous students in the water on a surfboard.
The photos posted on your Aotearoa Surf School Facebook page were a great resource to share with students and parents, and the children loved the photos of themselves in action.
Thank you so much for an awesome day at Te Arai beach on Wednesday. The kids had an epic time participating in your Wave Warriors Surfing and Water Safety programme.
I was particularly impressed with how your instructors were very clear with their instructions and demonstrations, always making sure that every child understood what to do before they got in the water. The students could easily relate to your instructors too and although they were very serious about getting the learning intentions across to the students, your instructors were also able to have a laugh, which is always appreciated by 11-13 year olds!
As a teacher, safety is always a concern when students are in the water. We had 32 students in the water at one time, and not once was I worried about their safety. Your instructors acted with calm professionalism and were always alert and following the highest safety measures. This is one of the reasons why I would recommend your programme to others, particularly schools.
You have provided an opportunity to our students which would have otherwise been impossible for many. We had a range of students (one with a prosthetic leg and two autistic students to name a few) and your team catered for them all. Of the 96 students who participated, ALL of them experienced some success. This is invaluable and something they will always remember.
We cannot thank you, Foundation North, and Water Safety New Zealand enough, for bringing this awesome sport into our school. We look forward to working with you again in the future!